baking fiends unite!

Sunday, July 15, 2007

A Healthy Breakfast...


I'm one of those guilty working mothers who will buy b'fast instead of preparing them. Many times I'll tell myself to make something healthy, so the kids will be having something that is not greasy, less sugar, no transfat... the list goes on. However, sometimes it's just not possible, given the hectic lifestyle we all lead nowadays. By the time I return from work, I'm so dead tired! And not to mention, I have to go thru' DS's homework everyday to make sure that he's doing/learning things right. I continue to search for a good b'fast recipe, that's fast and yummy, not only for the kids, but also myself. I guess there's only so much fried beehoon, Mc's b'fasts one can take.

On one occasion, pepperdemon offered me some muffins she made in the weekends. She said she'll bake these muffins in dozens and store in the freezer. Whenever she needs one, she'll take it out and "thaw" it to room temp and it's as good as fresh. If you want it warm, a 20 seconds zap in the microwave oven will do the trick. This is really an appealing idea to me... imagine hot, healthy muffins can be had anytime, any day! After tasting the muffins (which were REALLY delicious!), I got her to pass me the recipes. She then proceeded to scan the whole book for me, as this recipe book is out of print and it was never sold in sg b4. Thanks pepperdemon for being such a sweetie! *muak muak*

Armed with the recipes, I gave the orange oatmeal muffins a try. Erm.... as I've mentioned b4, I'm not good with muffins... I tend to overmix it and it turned out really hard and holey... well, this time, I tried so hard not to overmix. Still, the end result was nothing like wad I've tasted (peppa's).... but it was moist and soft. I'll be trying another batch of these muffins again. Hopefully, it'll turn out right.
Here's the recipe for these oatmeal orange muffins for those who are interested.
What you need
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 cup boiling water
  • 1 cup rolled oats (regular or instant)
  • 1/2 cup butter (room temp)
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baing soda
  • 1 tsp salt
What to do
  • Combine orange juice and water. Add rolled pats and soak for 15 mins.
  • Meanwhile cream butter and sugars. Beat in eggs and sitr in oat mixture.
  • Stir in raisins and vanilla.
  • Add flour, baking powder, baking soda (Sifted) and salt.
  • Stir till moistened. Poour into well-greased muffin cups.
  • Bake at 180C for 15-20mins.
Edited to add :
These muffins tasted better than ever after I've freezed and zapped them in the microwave. In fact, the texture is very close to peppa's muffins! yum yum.... will definately be looking into more of the muffin recipes! wish me luck!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home