Pandan Fudge Cake
After looking thru' the many recipes available for this cake in the net, I decided to modify the recipe to make things easier... u know, 'coz i'm too lazy to blend the pandan leaves and extract the juice, so I took the easy way out and used pandan essence.
Here's the recipe :
What you need:
For the sponge cake
- 4 eggs and 1 egg yolk
- 100gm sugar
- 100gm plain flour, to sift (I used cake flour as I ran out of plain flour)
- 100gm butter, melted and cooled.
- 1/2 tsp pandan essence
- 500ml water
- 100gm sugar ( I reduced the amt of sugar as I dun like it too sweet. This amt turned out to be just nice for my family, you may add more sugar if you like)
- 50gm butter
- 2 tsp agar-agar powder
- 150ml water
- 350ml thick coconut milk (I used packaged coconut milk)
- 90gm hoen kwa flour
- 1.5 tsp pandan essence
- dessicated coconut (for decorating the cake)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease and line a deep 8 inches round baking tin.
- Beat eggs, 100gm sugar, pandan essence for 10mins till thick (mousse like)
- Fold in sifted flour and then add in melted butter till well incorporated.
- Bake for abt 35mins.
- Cool cake and cut into 3 layers.
- Boil water with sugar, butter and agar-agar powder.
- Mix tog 150ml water with coconut milk, hoen kwa flour and essence in a separate bowl.
- Add to boiling sugar mixture and cook till thick.
- Place 1 layer of sponge cake in a 9-inch round springform baking tin. Pour inabt 1/3 of the cooked filling and spread it out. Place in the 2nd layer of the sponge cake. Continue with another 1/3 of the filling and spread it out evenly. Finally, place in the 3rd and last layer of the sponge cake and pour onto of it the remaining filling. Even it out. (got to work fast as the filling cools rather fast)
- Cover and chill the cake.
- Scatter dessicated coconuts on the cake as decoration.
- Serve chilled.