baking fiends unite!

Friday, August 17, 2007

And the answer is.....

Muffins!

I was flipping thru' a muffin recipe book when I chanced upon a recipe titled "mushroom muffins".... hey, I love mushrooms and so do my kiddos... so it din take me long before I started scrutinising the ingredients. I was really surprised to spot that the main ingredient in the recipe is actually a can of campbell soup! I never knew this soup can be made into muffins other than fillings for buns and sauce for sphagetti and of course, the crowd fav, campbell soup in a bowl.


Almost immediately, I jumped out of my bed and went into my kitchen, looking for that can of campbell soup I bought on impulse during one of my grocery shopping trips. With that can of soup safely in my hands, I looked at the other ingredients in the recipe... GREAT... I've all that's needed! and so I set to work on these muffins. Guess I was really curious how the muffins will turn out.

The recipe is really very straightforward (that's wad a muffin recipe shd be rite?). From the mixing of the wet and dry ingredients to sending the muffins into the oven, it was done in 10 mins flat. However, there's a wait of 15-20 mins for the muffins to be baked.

After 20 mins in the oven, the muffins did not rise much (to my disappointment) ... but anyway, it tasted just like the soup! (haha... who am I kidding.... it's the main ingredient here! DUH)... but the kiddos love it and I guess that's all that matters rite? *wink*

ps : I do find it a tart too salty...
Dear Sue, u're so close to getting the correct answer!
Eat your soup!

Here's the recipe (for those who are campbell soup fans and not "killed" by the suspense yet!.... and want to try eating yr soup...) [eh, Cecily?? LOL]
What you need
  • 1 can of condensed campbell soup (10 oz)
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup oil (I used corn oil)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • some chopped parsley or chives (I have neither, so I omitted it)

What to do
  • Preheat oven at 180C.
  • Mix the milk, oil, egg and soup in a bowl. Beat it till well-combined.
  • Sift the flour, salt and baking powder together.
  • Add in the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. It's ok for the batter to appear lumpy.
  • Spoon batter into muffin tin and bake for 15-20mins.
  • Makes 9 large muffins or in my case, 12 tiny ones. :)
  • oh.. important point to note... serve warm!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home