baking fiends unite!

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

This Christmas.....

had been an awfully tiring one. We were at my sis's place on Christmas Eve for a party which lasted till late. And then I hosted a dinner for Ian's birthday on Christmas Day .... and on Boxing Day, was at my cousin's place as early as 6.45AM for her wedding. The day did not end till after the wedding dinner, which was closed to 11pm. I was so drained and exhausted that till today I am still trying to recover! Not to mention, Ian came down with a stomach virus on Boxing Day and is still recovering from it....and Cherilynn came down with hives today.

With this chain of events happening, I totally lost my energy to even download any photos taken during the past few days! But still I eventually gathered enough strength to edit and compose my post today.
I started planning for Ian's b'day bash a few weeks beforehand. I wanted to try my hand at poaching salmon as one of the dishes, but only managed to research for recipes only in the morning of Christmas Eve! I got to leave the office early that day, and made my way to a fty that sells salmon and other seafood at wholesale prices, all the way at the north. Thanks to Hubs for driving me there and I picked up fillet of half a salmon there. The guy refused to help me get a whole salmon (head and tail included) from the freezer as he was adamant that I would not buy the fish... even tho' I said that was exactly what I wanted. (Gosh... that's customer service for you). In good Christmas spirits, I took the next best thing that I can lay my hands on. LOLz.On Christmas morning, that I went to buy all the necesary ingredients from the supermart nearby. With the help of C, I managed to twit the recipes I found online and the poached salmon came out perfect! It was moist, flavoursome and totally rocks!
This is the salmon before poaching....yummmm
I'll share the recipe here for all those who wants to give it a try.

What you need
  • Alumimium foil
  • Greaseproof/waxed paper
  • Fresh salmon (The fillet I bought is 1.2kg, good to feed 12pax)
  • Olive oil
  • 1 lemon (cut into slices abt 5mm thick)
  • 10gm fresh dill (chopped)
  • 10gm fresh italian parsley (chopped)
  • crushed black pepper
  • sea salt
  • 2 carrots (chopped)
  • 1 corn
What to do
  • Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
  • Lay alumimium foil on table top, place greaseproof/waxed paper over it, make sure that these 2 materials are bigger than the salmon
  • Place the salmon on top of the greaseproof/waxed paper and drizzle olive oil on it, make sure the whole fillet has been coated with olive oil.
  • Sprinkle sea salt and crushed black pepper generously onto the fillet.
  • Place the lemon slices onto the fillet.
  • Sprinkle another layer of sea salt on top of the lemon.
  • Sprinkle the chopped dill and parsely on top.
  • Placed the chopped carrots and corn at the sides.
  • Wrap the fillet up. Seal it tight.
  • Place sealed salmon poach onto a baking tray and into the oven... I baked the fillet for 40mins and it was cooked just nice. For smaller-sized fillets, 20mins is sufficient.
  • Remove from oven after 40mins, open up the poach and serve.... enjoy!
Besides the poached salmon, I also served a mixed fruit salad (combo of orange, blueberries, strawberries, cherries, jackfruit mixed with mango yogurt), smoked salmon and cream cheese on crackers, cream of mushroom soup, mini garlic pork sausages coated with hosin & honey sauce (Thanks Ching for this recipe), chicken & beef lasagna; chocolate fudge cake (the b'day cake) and rum balls for dessert.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home