baking fiends unite!

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Pandan Fudge Cake


After looking thru' the many recipes available for this cake in the net, I decided to modify the recipe to make things easier... u know, 'coz i'm too lazy to blend the pandan leaves and extract the juice, so I took the easy way out and used pandan essence.

Here's the recipe :
What you need:
For the sponge cake
  • 4 eggs and 1 egg yolk
  • 100gm sugar
  • 100gm plain flour, to sift (I used cake flour as I ran out of plain flour)
  • 100gm butter, melted and cooled.
  • 1/2 tsp pandan essence
For the filling
  • 500ml water
  • 100gm sugar ( I reduced the amt of sugar as I dun like it too sweet. This amt turned out to be just nice for my family, you may add more sugar if you like)
  • 50gm butter
  • 2 tsp agar-agar powder
  • 150ml water
  • 350ml thick coconut milk (I used packaged coconut milk)
  • 90gm hoen kwa flour
  • 1.5 tsp pandan essence
  • dessicated coconut (for decorating the cake)
What to do:
  • Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease and line a deep 8 inches round baking tin.
For sponge cake :
  1. Beat eggs, 100gm sugar, pandan essence for 10mins till thick (mousse like)
  2. Fold in sifted flour and then add in melted butter till well incorporated.
  3. Bake for abt 35mins.
  4. Cool cake and cut into 3 layers.
To make filling:
  1. Boil water with sugar, butter and agar-agar powder.
  2. Mix tog 150ml water with coconut milk, hoen kwa flour and essence in a separate bowl.
  3. Add to boiling sugar mixture and cook till thick.
  4. Place 1 layer of sponge cake in a 9-inch round springform baking tin. Pour inabt 1/3 of the cooked filling and spread it out. Place in the 2nd layer of the sponge cake. Continue with another 1/3 of the filling and spread it out evenly. Finally, place in the 3rd and last layer of the sponge cake and pour onto of it the remaining filling. Even it out. (got to work fast as the filling cools rather fast)
  5. Cover and chill the cake.
  6. Scatter dessicated coconuts on the cake as decoration.
  7. Serve chilled.
My family really enjoyed this cake, I hope you will too.

Labels:

11 Comments:

  • ida do u find that the sponge falls apart very easy when u want to layer it..how do u carry it without breaking it

    By Blogger Amrita, at 7:36 PM, November 05, 2006  

  • Hi amrita,

    I dun seem to have this problem with the sponge cake. Mine was fluffy and moist.Just rememeber not to overbake it. It'll turn very crumbly if once overbaked. Give this cake another try, I'm sure u'll achieve very satisfying results.

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 9:34 PM, November 05, 2006  

  • Ida

    What size eggs did you use to make your sponge cake ??

    Thanks and warm regards
    ellen

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:27 PM, November 06, 2006  

  • Hi ellen,

    i used eggs weighing 60gms with shell. make sure yr eggs are fresh and at room temp to get the best results.

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 3:07 PM, November 06, 2006  

  • Ida, how much flour and what type of flour for the sponge? don't seem to find it???

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:41 PM, November 06, 2006  

  • sorrie anonymous, I'll need to check my recipe... dun have it rite now with me. guess i left it out as my DD kept toking to me while i was typing the ingredients and got distracted! haha

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 6:02 PM, November 06, 2006  

  • hi ida
    yeah mines fluffy n moist too, but my prob is that when i cut it into 3 layers, its rather flimsy when u wantto tocarry it over and put it into the cake ring....

    By Blogger Amrita, at 9:09 PM, November 06, 2006  

  • Amrita, find somefin like a cake board to help lift the cake layers. I always make use of wadever i can find in the kitchen, in this case, i actually used 2 choppers to rest the cake layers on.(guess i love to live dangerously... and no one wans to come near me when i'm doing this! :)) Do not use yr fingers to hold them, i guess it's too fragile to be handled this way.

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 8:59 AM, November 07, 2006  

  • Thanks Ida.....I think ill go get a cake lifter or something from poon huat..u know what I ended up doing with my pandan fudge cake...cut the pieces into semicircles and re-assemble XD

    By Blogger Amrita, at 4:49 PM, November 08, 2006  

  • Hi Ida

    I just notice that the cake has 100g butter.

    Wow, the cake should be nice and moist ???

    Maybe, I can use this recipe as the standard sponge cake.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:00 PM, November 10, 2006  

  • hi ellen,

    yeah, the cake is moist and nice... my baking tin is 8 inches. i dunno if it'll be good for a 9-in tin or not.

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 2:22 PM, November 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home