baking fiends unite!

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Black beauty?

Been gng thru' my list of to-do list recently and realised that I've got a pile of bread recipes "to-do"! Since getting the KA, I've been trying to make more breads than usual. Tasting the bread kneaded by the KA kinda convinced me that I'll use it instead of a bread machine for my future "challenges". I've tasted a few breads made by bread machines before and somehow the texture of the bread cannot compare to what is being made by hand or KA cum arm power. So when I conveyed this message to DH, you can imagine him giving out a huge sigh of relief! LOL....

This weekends, I decided to try out a new bread (to me!). Ground black sesame is added to the dough and it's the process of the bread making that got me very interested and can't wait to try it out.

This recipe makes use of a starter dough, which was left overnite in the fridge. It suits me perfectly, as I can make the starter dough the nite b4, and then complete the whole process the next morning.

I am pretty sure that the results will be good and it really is! The baked bread is really soft and moist. Even my mom who don't like anything that looks black and dark was game enough to give this a bite and gave it a thmbs-up. And judging from the speed which family members are eating the bread, I'm sure there will be requests for this bread very often!

Here's the recipe :

What you need
Starter dough:
  • 3gm yeast
  • 250gm bread flour
  • 200gm water
Main dough:

  • 3gm yeast
  • 50gm water
  • 175gm bread flour
  • 80gm sugar ( add 20gm more sugar if u like it sweet)
  • 20gm milk powder
  • 1 small egg (abt 40gm)
  • 75gm ground black sesame
  • 5gm salt
  • 40gm butter (at room temp)
What to do
For starter dough:
  • Mix all the start dough ingredients tog. Knead using the KA for 4 mins using medium speed.
  • Put in a metal bowl and cover the top with clingwrap.
  • Place into the fridge and chill it for at least 12 hours.
After 12 hours (or the next morning, for me):

  • Place all the ingredients (except butter) for main dough into the mixing bowl, tog with the starter dough.
  • Knead the dough for abt 10 mins.
  • Add in the butter and continue to knead until dough passes the pane test.
  • Poof for 45 mins.
  • Divide the dough into desired grammage and rest for 15 mins.
  • Shape dough as desired and poof in the loaf tin until dough filled 80-90% of tin.
  • Bake in preheated oven @180C for 35 mins.
  • Cool completely and enjoy!

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • Hi Ida
    This bread looks very soft and fluffy :-)

    By Blogger Chawanmushi, at 10:52 AM, June 24, 2007  

  • hi ida, ur bread always looks so soft n fluffy! May i ask wht type of bread loave tin u bake with?Is it aluminium, whts the measuremnt n where can i buy it? Thks!

    Lissa

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:28 PM, July 10, 2007  

  • hi ida, where to buy ground black sesame powder?Thks!

    Lissa

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:37 PM, July 10, 2007  

  • Hi Lissa,

    Thanks for dropping by.

    Are you in sg? I bought the pack of ground black sesame from Lee Bee Enterprise at Blk 507 Jurong West St52 #01-154 Singapore 640507
    Tel: 6665 5972.

    As for the tin, I got it from Gim Hin Lee Blk 10 Haig Road #01-363/365 Singapore 430010.
    Tel : 67428388

    The size of the tin is found in the comments section of my hokkaido loaf post.

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 9:21 AM, July 11, 2007  

  • forgot to answer you that it's an aluiminum tin.

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 9:22 AM, July 11, 2007  

  • hi ida,
    Thks for the quick reply! Hoping 2 try this sesame loaf recipe once i buy the loaf tin n ground black sesame!

    Lissa

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:43 PM, July 11, 2007  

  • Hi Lissa,

    Do feedback once you tried out the recipe, yah?

    Happy baking. :)

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 5:47 PM, July 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home