baking fiends unite!

Saturday, July 07, 2007

2 thumbs up - Fruit Pastry

This is my 2nd attempt on this pastry. I use cake flour in my 1st attempt, hoping to achieve a moist cake with smooth and fine texture. However, I felt tat it was rather dry. I used apples, canned peach and blueberries and this combo works out really good! There's no pics of the cake then as my camera konked out on me.

So having a free time slot now, I decided to attempt this cake again. I used the same combo of fruits and I switched to self-raising flour this time.

Thanks Vi for posting the recipe at IK.

Here's my modification:

What you need

  • 210 gm self-raising flour
  • 150 gm sugar
  • 100 gm butter
  • 3 tbsp sour cream
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp lemon peel
  • 3 eggs
  • Combo of fruits (1 apple, 1 whole canned peach, abt 15 blueberries)
What to do
  • Sift self-raising flour with baking powder in a bowl, and set aside.
  • Cut fruits into thin slices.
  • Preheat oven to 180 C.
  • Beat butter, sour cream and sugar together till fluffy.
  • Add eggs one at a time.
  • Add lemon peel and vanilla extract.
  • Fold in flour and baking powder and mix until everything is smooth.
  • Grease a baking pan.
  • Place batter in the pan and level nice. Place fruits on top.
  • Bake for 40 minutes (test with skewer).
  • Let cool on a rack and sprinkle with icing sugar.

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • What a delicious loaf - it looks wonderful!

    By Blogger Patricia Scarpin, at 11:41 PM, July 10, 2007  

  • Thanks Patricia. :)

    This is really delicious... plan to bake another loaf soon!

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 9:23 AM, July 11, 2007  

  • Hi baking fiend,

    I tried out the fruit pastry using your recipe. The result : Very soft n the sweetness of it is just nice. I used frozen blueberries n canned peaches only. Next time i will add in more variations. Thanks.

    Rgs,
    Mei

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:00 PM, July 13, 2007  

  • hi baking fiend , do u find the second recipe with using the self raising flour to be more soft . I tried baking once with cake flour also ..and it came out dry as well. Btw yr fruit pastry loooks yummy delicious.
    take care

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:37 PM, July 13, 2007  

  • Hi mei, happy to hear that yr attempt for the pastry turned out good!

    Hi Sue, My initial attempt using cake flour turned out dry and dense. When I tried self-raising flour, the cake rose alot! and resulted in a lighter texture. But this is essentially more like a butter cake, can't expect the texture to be like those of a sponge cake. Why not give this a try and compare? Do remember not to put in the fridge 'coz I find it hardens and take a long time to "thaw". Happy Baking!

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 3:29 PM, July 13, 2007  

  • thanks you ida, i will try using self raising flour in the future.
    Does the cake stay soft the next day?

    thank you

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:46 PM, July 26, 2007  

  • The cake still stay soft the next day. I dun put it in the fridge and kept it in an air-tight container.

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 3:05 PM, July 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home