baking fiends unite!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Sliced Cheese Cheesecake

I've bookmarked this recipe for sometime but did not get around to making it coz somehow, by impulse, I tend to pick up a block of cream cheese during grocery shopping. On my latest grocery shopping trip, I had managed to convince myself that I DO NOT need another block of cream cheese that will eventually be sitting in the fridge till almost expiry that only then will make me jump up and do something with it. *pat myself on my back*

Back to the cake.... Sliced cheese is what I will always have in my fridge (and I believe many household will have it too), and the recipe is so simple and straightforward, that I really have to try it.
Thank you Zu for posting this recipe. I followed the recipe to a T, except that I omitted the lemon juice and extended the baking time another 10mins as I read in the comments that the texture of this cake is kinda soft and mushy. The additional 10mins solved the problem. The cake turned out very well... Love it!

Here's the recipe:

What you need
  • 5 slices of cheese
  • 200ml of milk
  • 70gm butter
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 70gm cake flour
  • 1 tsp vanilla paste
  • 65gm sugar
  • 4 egg whites
What to do
  • Place a greaseproof paper on the base of an 8-in pan and preheat oven to 170C.
  • Break sliced cheese into smaller pieces and add to the milk in a small pot.
  • Apply low heat to the milk and melt the cheese, making sure that there are no lumps.
  • When cheese had melted, remove pot from fire, stir in the butter. Set aside.
  • Whip egg whites in a clean bowl till foamy and add in the sugar. Continue to whip till stiff peaks form. Set aside.
  • In another bowl, beat the egg yolks till light, pour in the milk/cheese/butter mixture and drop 1 tsp of vanilla extract into it. Stir till well blended.
  • Sift in flour and fold into the mixture till batter is smooth.
  • Fold in 1/3 of the whipped egg whites into the batter, once well blended, fold in remaining egg whites. Be careful not to deflate the egg whites. Final batter will be watery.
  • Pour batter into 8-in tin and bake, baine marie, at 170C for 20mins and lower the temperature to 140C and bake it for further 50mins.
  • Cool cake and chill before serving.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home