baking fiends unite!

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Snow-capped cathedral...NOT


Went to Pantry Magic last week and bought a really beautiful silicon mould.... so tot i shd try baking cupcakes with it. I whipped up a batter adapted from yochana's chocolate peppermint cake.


However, when the cakes were baked, i was rather disappointed when i unmoulded it. the outlines of the cathedral were not defined. some of the cake remained stuck to the mould! argh.... BUT the cake is nice in texture and taste. moist and soft.... will definately bake this cake again, but not gonna use the silicon moulds for it. probably shd just follow the recipe and use an 8inch tin instead.


Here's my adaption :

What you need
  • 230gm butter (soft, at room temp
  • 200gm self-raising flour
  • 50gm cocoa powder
  • 230gm eggs (abt 4 1/2 eggs)
  • 180gm sugar
  • 50gm milk
  • 1/2 tsp peppermint essence

What to do
  • Cream butter with sifted self-raising flour and cocoa powder till smooth.
  • In another bowl, beat eggs and sugar till pale.
  • Add the creamed butter and flour mix into the beaten eggs. Beat on low speed.
  • While beating batter on low speed, add in milk and peppermint essence.
  • Continue to mix till everything is well combined.
  • Pour batter into moulds or 8-in baking tin.
  • Bake at 180C for 40 mins.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • Hi Ida
    Yes, I recognise the lovely cathedral mould from Pantry Magic.
    I read somewhere that on first use, you'll get better unmoulding result if you oil it first.:-)

    By Blogger Chawanmushi, at 5:05 PM, February 06, 2007  

  • Hi chawanmushi...

    I did grease it and even put the mould in the oven for a while(during preheating), and then placed the batter in for baking.

    Anyway, will try another round of baking to see if it really does improve with use.

    Yochana advised me to grease and then flour the mould. too much of a trouble izzn't it? i mean, the beauty of silicon moulds is making life easier and save us the trouble of all that greasing and flouring...

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 11:50 AM, February 07, 2007  

  • hello,
    I always flour(cocoa in this case) and grease my silicone tins first cos sometimes the details on them are too intricate. It won't stick if you turn it out VERY carefully but that takes more effort than greasing and flouring in my opinion.
    I'm not sure if you have it where you are, but here (UK) I can buy an oil spray which makes life SO easy. And its one calorie per spray too!
    Just thought I'd share my opinion =D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:50 PM, February 09, 2007  

  • Thanks Kiwibaby for yr comments. I'll go and get a bottle of oil spray to make it easier to unmould. I believe the baking supply shops in sg shd have them. :)

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 2:00 PM, February 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home