baking fiends unite!

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Joining the craze....

Hokkaido Milk Loaf - like all japanese breads, it's soft and fluffy. And remained so even after 2 days! it's amazing how the japanese can formulate recipes like this.


The bread has becomes suddenly very popular in the baking forum that i frequent, IK. Definately have to do with the texture of this loaf, and also the wonders of technology... with the creation of a bread machine, many people have been able to enjoy a fresh loaf of home-made bread anytime of the day. However, I do not have a bread machine... altho' I do have plans to acquire one in the near future (hoping that there'll be a promotion for bread machine in GSS). So in order to save myself some arm exercises, I used my KA to knead the dough. However, after 10 mins, I still decided to use some arm power to knead it till it passed the pane test. Finally happy with the dough, I left it to poof and then shape it and poof again b4 gng into the oven. This loaf became the family's tea-break this afternoon. My family love bread... and kids esp, love soft white bread. So this has become a family favourite! Guess I'll be making this bread more often in future.I have a similar recipe which i extracted from one of the taiwanese website long ago. Went thru' my folders of recipes collected thru' the years and spotted it. So this is one of the recipes on my to-do list for the longest time. Glad that I finally had the chance to try it out. Yay! one more item struck off the list. :)
Leftover dough which cannot be fitted into the loaf tin went into individual muffin cups.

Labels:

10 Comments:

  • Hi,

    I'm thinking of getting a bread machine too, gimmi a shout if you come across a good deal ok :)

    I've tried out the dream scones.. they are... ehh... still got rooms for improvement lah. Thanks for sharing the recipe and the tips on not over doing the dough, that's critical.

    Cheers!

    By Blogger Ning's Mummy, at 1:19 PM, May 28, 2007  

  • Hi Ning's mummy....

    Sorrie to hear that yr scones din turn out well... do try again. i'll like to make it again soon but it's really quite fattening considering it's using heavy cream! keke...

    still on the lookout for a good and cheap breadmachine... hoping that there'll be a promo coming soon. *keeping fingers cross*

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 1:43 PM, May 28, 2007  

  • Ida, your loaf looks great. I made some buns using this milk loaf recipe, and they turned out really soft and tender.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:38 PM, May 28, 2007  

  • Hi Angie,

    Yes, I saw it on yr blog, looks good ... this bread recipe is definately a keeper!

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 9:01 AM, May 29, 2007  

  • Hi Ida, ur bread loaf looks great. May i know where u bought the bread tin n whts the measurements? is the the aluminium type? thks!

    Lissa

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:58 AM, May 31, 2007  

  • Lissa, the tin mould is abt 7x3in (base) and 5in height. and yes, it's the aluminum type.

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 4:09 PM, May 31, 2007  

  • Hi Ida,
    your hokkaido milk loaf is very good!!! Personally I feel yours is one of the best among the bloggers who have tried it! Did you use the full portion of the recipe for your bread tin? Your loaf looks huge...my bread loaves always turn out very small :(

    By Blogger Happy Homebaker, at 11:26 AM, June 15, 2007  

  • Hi Happy Homemaker,

    Welcome back! I believe u had a great trip. :-)

    Thanks for the compliment *embarassed* The recipe was halved, so it yield 1 loaf. Actually my tin is pretty small, but 'coz i took the pic close-up, so it looked otherwise! *LOL* Anyway, I dunno if it's 'coz it's not kneaded by a bread machine, tat the texture of the bread is different. I've tried bread made by the breadmachine b4 and somehow it doens't seemed to taste as good as hand-kneaded ones....

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 6:45 PM, June 15, 2007  

  • Hi Ida, Thanks! Yes, indeed, we had a great trip...one of the best and rather fun-filled and exciting trip ;)
    I agree with you that the bread machine doesn't knead the dough enough...the dough doesn't pass the pane test most of the time! btw, I had the chance to try the chocolate swirl bread in Tokyp...the texture was super soft and light. My bakes simply couldn't meet up to the standard!

    By Blogger Happy Homebaker, at 8:58 PM, June 15, 2007  

  • Hi Happy Homebaker,

    Lucky u! I can only WISH to go to Japan!

    I finally took out my ruler and gave the tin a measure.
    Base : 3 3/4 x 6 1/2 inches
    Height : 4 1/2 inches
    Top : 4 x 7 1/2 inches

    Lissa, I realised that I missed out your question. Sorrie...
    I bot this tin from Lee Bee Ent (Jurong West, Blk 507) for $6.

    Cheers!

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 9:39 PM, June 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home