baking fiends unite!

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Dream scones - not quite there yet...

I WANT TO BAKE!

After not being able to do any baking for abt 2 week, I must will myself into baking somefin today. Be it somefin easy and fast... as long as i BAKE!

Was browsing thru' IK forum last nite and decided to give the cream scones Annie posted a try. It looks simple and fast, plus the good reviews posted, it's definately the best choice. However, looking into my fridge, I realised that I only have a little bit of sour cream (leftover from previous bakes)... other than that, I have the other ingredients required for the recipe. So I subsituted the heavy cream with all of the sour cream I have ( I din measure), and added some milk to make it up to 1 cup. From the threads abt this recipe, someone had pointed out that using yogurt instead of cream makes the dough very sticky. So when I worked the sour cream with milk in, I kinda expected it to happen... and it did.

Here's my improvision....

What you need
  • 300gms flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tbsp baking powder
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 70gm unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup raisins
  • 1 cup sour cream with milk
What to do
  • Preheat oven @180C.
  • Sift baking powder, flour and salt tog in a mixing bowl. Add in the sugar and mix.
  • Cut in the butter until it resembles coarse meal.
  • Add in the raisins and mix well.
  • Stir in the cream & milk mixture and bind the dough tog. It turns stickly at this point.
  • Place dough onto a lightly flour baking paper on tray and cut into desired portions.
  • Brush on more milk on the surface and then sprinkle sugar on top.
  • Bake @180C for 20 mins until surface turns golden.
  • Best eaten warm! (with your favourite beverage!)
Verdict after the taste test..... this definately needs improving! Probably will go get heavy cream to try.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home