Dream scones - not quite there yet...
After not being able to do any baking for abt 2 week, I must will myself into baking somefin today. Be it somefin easy and fast... as long as i BAKE!
Was browsing thru' IK forum last nite and decided to give the cream scones Annie posted a try. It looks simple and fast, plus the good reviews posted, it's definately the best choice. However, looking into my fridge, I realised that I only have a little bit of sour cream (leftover from previous bakes)... other than that, I have the other ingredients required for the recipe. So I subsituted the heavy cream with all of the sour cream I have ( I din measure), and added some milk to make it up to 1 cup. From the threads abt this recipe, someone had pointed out that using yogurt instead of cream makes the dough very sticky. So when I worked the sour cream with milk in, I kinda expected it to happen... and it did.
Here's my improvision....
What you need
- 300gms flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 70gm unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup sour cream with milk
- Preheat oven @180C.
- Sift baking powder, flour and salt tog in a mixing bowl. Add in the sugar and mix.
- Cut in the butter until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add in the raisins and mix well.
- Stir in the cream & milk mixture and bind the dough tog. It turns stickly at this point.
- Place dough onto a lightly flour baking paper on tray and cut into desired portions.
- Brush on more milk on the surface and then sprinkle sugar on top.
- Bake @180C for 20 mins until surface turns golden.
- Best eaten warm! (with your favourite beverage!)