baking fiends unite!

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Steamed Mango Cupcakes


I was out shopping along orchard rd last saturday when i stopped by Sun Moulin (bakery) to pick up some mochi bread for the kids. Of course I started "poking ard" and saw some mango cakes on sale too. Being a fan of mango, onto the tray the cake went! :P

When i tok a bite into the cake, i was totally blown away. It's so pillowy soft! Besides having a slight tinge of mango frangrance in the cake, it was topped wif some strips of dried mangoes.

Fast forward to today afternoon, when i suddenly got a craving for the mango cake! I decided to try making some myself. I remembered the cake having very light and fine crumbs, which resembled cake batter with emulisifier added. Also, the top and bottom of the cake was not browned, which meant that it could be a steamed cake, instead of baked. I immediately looked into my file of recipes as there was a 7-up steamed cake recipe that i had tried b4. I thought it'll be good to modify that recipe and hopefully be able to achieve the same texture.

Here's the cake when it's done. Appearance-wise, the Sun Moulin's version does not have any cracked top. In fact, it was very smooth. Every single one of mine, however, cracked... and resembles huatt kuehs! The texture was quite similar tho'... but it's still not as pillowy-soft. As for the mango frangrance, it's also not strong enuf. I think maybe I shd try juicing mangoes myself or even use mango puree instead. However, I'm happy with this attempt and it's enuf to satisfy my cravings for now....
And now... on to the recipe:
What you need
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 2 egg whites
  • 180gm sugar
  • 300gm cake flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tbsp ovalette
  • 200ml mango juice
  • Some dried mangoes (cut into strips)
What to do
  • Whip eggs and sugar till pale.
  • Add in ovalette and continue to beat for anther 3 mins.
  • Add in sifted flour and baking powder and mango juice althermately into the beaten eggs mix till well incorporated.
  • Fill 1/2 of the muffin liners with batter, put in some dried mangoes. Top muffin liners with remaining batter. Then place some more strips of dried mangoes.
  • Steam over rapid boiling water for 10mins.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home