baking fiends unite!

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Panettones

Panettones are not easily available unless it's near the x'mas season. Not only that, it's rather expensive.

As usual, this bread had been on my to-do list for sometime and I've never got around to try it. I've mentioned before that I've not been a fan of dried fruits, such as raisins and cherries, but the rest of the family loves it. Before cny, I soaked some fruits in rum and since then it's still sitting in the container waiting to be used. I was planning to bake another light fruit cake as it was well-received by the family. But then I suddenly recalled that the fruits can also be used in panettones! So I looked thru' my stash of recipe books and Elyn alerted me to a panettone recipe in Alex Goh's Bread book. Sweet Elyn even offered to type out the recipe and send it to me... and blur me, upon reaching home that nite, then realised that I do have that book at home! I had planned to look thru' the internet for a panettone recipe, and I did that, only to realise that most of the recipes called for a number of eggs. However, Alex's Goh's panettone recipe only required 1 egg... so of course I opted for the "healthier" version.

The recipe used the sponge method, which I had attempted before. The dough was rather difficult to handle as it was really soft and sticky. And true to it's description in the book, the finished bread is really light and soft. However, it can only yield 9 pcs of muffin-sized panettones. I decided to use rectangular paper liners which DH bought for me on his recent trip to China. It's bigger than the regular muffin cups so I had to estimate the amt of dough to fit the liner. Well, it turned out too little. The bread only raised up to 3/4 of the liner, and I only got 7 pcs of panettones. Also, I did not place the muffins liners in a tin, so I ended up with odd-shaped liners after the poofing!


If I were to make this bread using the same recipe next time, I'll probably double it. Also, now I understand why it's so at such a high price.... there's rum-soaked fruits and rum in it. However, commercially sold panettones tasted so dry and there's preservatives in it. And well, who knows if they used the sponge method of bread making?
PS : For those who are looking to buy a breadmaker, Carrefour had launched a new model of their in-house brand, Bluesky. It's retailing at $69.90. I just went to buy myself one! *happy dance*

Labels:

9 Comments:

  • Wow! Welcome to the breadmaker family!! So I shall see more bread from you? And very lovely Panettones :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:10 PM, March 16, 2008  

  • Thanks Elyn... well, my reasoning to DH for getting the breadmaker is to be able to get a fresh loaf of bread in the morning! LOL... let's hope we hold true to this reason.

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 9:01 AM, March 17, 2008  

  • haha... i am still trying to convince my hubby. he said a loaf of bread is still cheaper than the electricity that it uses. Now tell me how to convince?

    By Blogger Edith, at 10:46 AM, March 17, 2008  

  • hey edith... the guys just dun get it, don't they???

    well, for starters, tell yr DH that the commercially sold bread contains preservatives! and also chemicals which makes the loaf stays soft and nice even after 3 days!

    furthermore, u'll get to taste fresh loaf every morning, if u set it as a delay function.

    Are these good enuf reasons? :)

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 9:05 PM, March 17, 2008  

  • A breadmaker is a good investment and glad you got yours! Your Panettones looks great and I need to buy the Alex Goh bread book for myself!

    By Blogger Little Corner of Mine, at 2:01 AM, March 18, 2008  

  • Hi, I saw your pics at the forum and followed the track here. Nice looking pantonnes! Was still thinking what to do with the rum soaked fruits leftover from Xmas. XD

    rgds/Rei

    By Blogger Rei, at 3:29 PM, March 18, 2008  

  • hi rei, thanks for visiting!

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 9:50 AM, March 19, 2008  

  • Hi, may I ask whereabouts in China (like city and what type of shop) can you find those paper liners. Are they much cheaper than in Sinapore? I love panettones; my sis brings them from Rome whenever she visits us at Christmas.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:24 PM, April 10, 2008  

  • hi kerplonk,

    i ordered these liners online, it's a china site and my DH picked them up at his china office when he was there. these liners are available in sg. they are not really exp in sg, just that it's much cheaper in china.

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 9:29 AM, April 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home