baking fiends unite!

Friday, March 07, 2008

A month of b'days!


Today is my DH's birthday. He's 40 this year! WOOHOO! Every time March comes ard, we're sure to put on an extra kg or 2.... reason being it's amonth of celebrations for us! Within the 4 of us in the family, 3 are march babies! and dear DS is a x'mas bb! LOL...

Well, unfortunately, my oven brokedown a couple of weeks ago, but wad's a b'day without a cake? so I did a chilled non-bake cheesecake for him instead.

I used canned lychees and blueberries for the cake. I hope this combo will be nice as I've not tried this b4! Canned lychees 'coz this is the only canned fruit I have in my pantry now. I'm now working at a new office, which made groceries shopping abit of a chore 'coz of the distance. So i had to make do with wadeva I have at home. But my guess is that it'll be nice... 'coz I was bz chomping down the extra lychees while making this cake! LOL. The blueberries are frozen ones which I always have a stash in my fridge. I stock up on blueberries whenever it's on sale at the local supermarts.

Now to the finished cake. I used a heart-shaped cake tin for the cake. The smart-aleck I am, I went to line the tin with a clingwrap as it'll make removing the cake a breeze. I was planning to line the side of the cake after it's set with the plastic liners to "beautify" it more... but then it occured to me that since the cake is heart-shaped, it'll be quite diffuclt to "bend" the liners to make it stick to the side... ok... maybe i worry too much, but in the end I decided to forgo the whole plastic liner thingy altogether.... well, this morning, I was thinking it thru and then had to slap myself for being so silly! I could've done the lining after I placed the clingwrap! DUH....in that way, the sides will definately stick and I have a nicely finished cheesecake! Anyway, to cut the long story short, u can see from the pic that the cake has a very jagged and "folded" sides. *sob sob*

I'll leave u with the pics of the cake.... I love the red swills on the cake tho'... it's actually the 1st time i attempt to decorate the cake this way... just try it out after seeing how it was done on tv, and it turned out pretty well, except that the heart is kinda loop-sided!

Labels:

9 Comments:

  • It's beautiful.. most imptly it's baked with lotsa love and sweet thots! =)

    Happy Birthday to all three march babies! ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:11 AM, March 07, 2008  

  • Tks for the kind words and b'day wishes, tweetybird! :)

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 2:47 PM, March 07, 2008  

  • It's simple yet so pretty! You did well and happy birthday to all the March babies!

    By Blogger Little Corner of Mine, at 7:57 AM, March 08, 2008  

  • Happy Birthday to the March babies! I like the design, simple and stylish! Thot the sides din look too bad, look like a design :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:05 AM, March 08, 2008  

  • Lovely cheesecake! I like the decoration, simple and nice.

    By Blogger Jo, at 12:39 PM, March 08, 2008  

  • What a beautiful cake!
    I bet it tasted very good too :D

    By Blogger sweet-tooth, at 4:15 PM, March 08, 2008  

  • Thanks Ching. it's a simple and small cake only for the family. :P

    Elyn, thanks for the encouragement...and the b'day wishes too!

    JO!!! Long time no hear from u! Thanks for the link to yr blog. but the other blog, cannot access leh...

    Hi sweet-tooth, thanks for the kind words!

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 8:14 AM, March 09, 2008  

  • You can actually use a warm palette knife (eg. place in a cup of hot water) to slide it around the sides of the cake, it will help to smoothen out the edges. I do not for my chilled cheesecakes I do not have a springform pan.

    By Blogger Happy Homebaker, at 10:02 AM, March 09, 2008  

  • Thanks HB for yr advice. I was thiking that using the clingwrap will be the easiest way to do the cake. the tin i used is actually removable base(but not springfoam). :)

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 11:37 AM, March 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home