baking fiends unite!

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Feeling corny


It all started when I was trying to pass time whilst waiting for my DD to finish her class. So I found myself wondering abt the aisles at a hypermart. Even tho' my initial intention is just to get some apples to munch on, but well, I ended up checking out many other things! LOL...
I picked up a can of corn kernels and then started to dream abt corn muffins! It's been some time since I last made some "Kenny Rogers" corn muffins and I've always wanted to try it with the canned corn instead of frozen ones. I found the frozen ones turned out very dry after baking. So in the shopping basket it went. :P

The muffins were good as expected... what can go wrong with honey, cornmeal and lovely corn kernels... and of course, a good recipe.

1 can of corn kernels measured 2 cups after draining out the brine. So I'm left with 1 cup of corn after baking the muffins. I decided to make a loaf of bread and incorporate the corn into it. So I looked thru' some blogs and settled on the milk loaf. Happy Homebaker has a translated version of the milk loaf, and good reviews too, so I took that recipe and ran! LOL....

I made some minor modifications to it...

What you need
  • 1 egg
  • 145gm milk
  • 25gm sugar
  • 5gsm salt
  • 38gm butter
  • 250gm bread flour
  • 4gm dried active yeast
  • 1/2 cup corn kernels

What to do
  • Add the ingredients in the order as listed above into the breadmaker, except for the corn.
  • Set the breadmaker to the sweet function, crust to light and selected 700gms as the dough weight and let it run.
  • After 20mins of churning, the breadmaker beeped and I added the corn kernels in.
  • After 2hrs 50mins, the bread is done!
The bread turned out really good... soft and airy. Everyone loves it... and so, it's a definate keeper! It looks like a very versatile recipe too... can imagine experimenting with chocolate, wholemeal or some other variations.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home