baking fiends unite!

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Agar agar moonies

Finally I made these mooncakes . It's quite a long process (tho' not tedious) to make these as you need time to set the agar agar part by part. 1st you start with the egg yolk portion. I let it sit in the fridge for 2 nites as I can't find the mojo to continue with it. But being a weekends today, and I was idling at home, there was absolutely no excuses not to complete the whole process.

I bought the egg yolk jelly mold 2 years back, and never got to actually use it coz I was too lazy. It was still in its original shrink-wrap when I took it out 3 days ago! LOLz.
Thanks to Elyn for trying out the recipe, modifying it and finally posting it online. She mentioned that the final mooncakes were rather soft, so I upped the agar agar portion just a tiny little bit. Still, I found that maybe more can be added to achieve that crunchiness I love in agar agar.

Besides the pandan flavour, I made them in yam flavour too.The mini white ones were left over agar agar cutout from the white "fillings" and I added an egg yolk in each of them too.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • Looks really good and pretty as well. I just want to eat without making them myself. :P

    By Blogger Little Corner of Mine, at 11:47 PM, September 28, 2009  

  • Ching, make some... it's yummy (and not as fatttening as the other types of mooncakes! :P)

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 12:59 PM, September 29, 2009  

  • These are so beautiful! I particularly like the green 1, like jade leh!

    By Blogger Rei, at 12:37 PM, September 30, 2009  

  • Thanks Rei. the green one was my personal fav too.

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 1:37 PM, September 30, 2009  

  • Hi

    Can you post the recipe for these agar agar mooncakes ?

    i love to try them but no recipe and yours look very good and the most yummy = )

    Please send me the recipe = )

    My email : cteo23@gmail.com

    Thank you so much and Blessings
    Chris

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:12 AM, October 06, 2009  

  • Hi Chris,

    Click on "Eyln" on the 3rd para of my post, it'll bring you to the recipe Elyn posted.

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 8:57 AM, October 06, 2009  

  • wow..i dont usually like mooncakes but ur agar version looks so appetizing. i would like to try to make some-im cynthia, the one from jakarta who was asking about ur xmas tree pan from starnet. ill b in spore for a brief 2 days and will make effort to go to starnet. do you mind giving me the recipe for the agar mooncakes..and where to buy the moulds--im not a baker or dont do much cookings..but i like intricate things..and this is a work of art. ure such an inspiration..my email chambali@gmail.com tx

    By Blogger dennis-cynthia, at 1:09 PM, October 20, 2009  

  • Hi Cynthia,

    You can get the mooncake molds from Sun Lik, opposite Raffles Hotel.

    For the recipe, click on "Elyn" in my post and it'll link you to the recipe Elyn posted. Have fun!

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 9:42 PM, October 25, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home