baking fiends unite!

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Waffles... the bestest!

I finally got myself a waffle-maker while shopping in town on Thursday. This item had been on my shopping list for a long time but I just did not have the time to go buy one or that the model I'm eyeing at was out of stock at the store. In fact, I wasn't hopeful to be able to buy on that day, and was just trying my luck at the household department. I enquired abt the waffle-maker when I saw the display set. The sales person told me that it's the only set left, but I did not want to get that set coz the waffle plate was chipped off at some corners... so she suggested that I try another shop within that building... and off I went! Guess I was lucky that day... I managed to get a new set from the store... and they only had 2 sets left.

Since I had the waffle-maker on my shopping list, I had been gathering several waffle recipes online too! And today is just the day to try out my new toy and a new recipe.

I'm really happy with the outcome... the recipe's great and the waffles were wolfed down by my kids once ready! However, once the waffles cooled down, it turned soft... hm.. I'm thinking of twitting the recipe next time, replacing some of the plain flour with rice flour, hopefully it'll work fine.

Here's the recipe for you to try. I get 14pcs of waffles from 1 recipe. You can create different variations to it and get chocolate, pandan or even strawberry flavoured waffles from this recipe. Happy waffling!

What you need
  • 1 3/4 cups plain flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon sugar (I'll add more next time)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 3/4 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 egg whites
What to do
  • Sift plain flour with baking powder together. Set aside.
  • Whisk yolks, sugar, salt and milk together.
  • Whip egg whites till stiff peaks... meanwhile....
  • Whisk in the sift flour into the egg yolk mixture.
  • Whisk in oil into batter till combined.
  • Stir in oil and mix.
  • GENTLY fold in beaten egg whites, do not over mix.
  • Pour about 1/2 cup at a time into waffle maker.

Labels:

20 Comments:

  • Not sure why but we really not a fan of waffle. Perhaps waffle was served all day long in my cafeteria during my times in university. :P I noticed that you all like waffles a lot.

    By Blogger Little Corner of Mine, at 5:23 AM, July 13, 2009  

  • Hi Ching,

    Actually the kids love waffles! For me, I like it piping hot with ice-cream... yums!

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 9:05 AM, July 13, 2009  

  • Just wondering what is the difference between home-made waffle and those waffle mix that you see in supermarket?
    Also, are you able to share what brand is your waffle maker?

    By Anonymous Charmaine, at 9:52 AM, July 13, 2009  

  • Hi Charmaine,

    for home-made waffles, I can be sure that there is no preservatives in it. also there's no emulsifier or stabliser, which is mostly present in pre-mix.

    my waffle-maker is kenwood, sm360.

    HTHs. :)

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 1:56 PM, July 13, 2009  

  • Hello !! May I know how much did you pay for the waffle maker? Thanks! (:

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:32 AM, July 16, 2009  

  • the waffle maker cost SGD59.

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 5:05 PM, July 16, 2009  

  • Yes, fresh homemade waffles are the bestest! I like mine with ice cream too. :D

    By Anonymous Julia, at 5:25 PM, July 17, 2009  

  • best waffles! your look crisp!! I love cinnamon flavour one!!I don't own a waffles machine dunno why,I guess maybe I can easily get frozen waffles at good price..maybe I should get a cheap waffle machine for the sake of making waffle at home!! hahaha!

    By Blogger My Asian Kitchen, at 10:17 AM, July 19, 2009  

  • I bought a waffle maker during a sale in BEST and have not tried making any waffles yet. This is the recipe which I would like to try. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Cheers
    Olivia

    By Blogger Olivia, at 3:35 PM, July 23, 2009  

  • Looks yummy! Reminds me I've not been making waffles for some time. BTW, if you are looking for a light and crispy recipe, here's one.

    http://blessedhomemaker.blogspot.com/2009/06/light-and-crispy-waffles.html

    By Blogger Blessed Homemaker, at 2:29 AM, July 25, 2009  

  • Thanks for sharing this, Ida....I tried making waffles using the recipe, yummy. Was lured by your words, namely "the bestest". :)

    Here's the write-up:
    http://jottingsoflife.blogspot.com/2009/07/waffling-waffles.html

    Thanks once again.

    By Blogger HK Choo, at 1:09 AM, July 26, 2009  

  • Hi Ladies, thanks for the comments.

    Reena, thanks for the link... now one more great recipe to try out!

    Hi HK, thanks for giving this recipe a try. i absolutely adore yr waffle maker... so cute!

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 11:24 AM, July 28, 2009  

  • hi dear.. where u get the waffle maker..?how much?59? i bought one at giant.. its too thin.. not really good..!!
    thanks for sharing..

    By Blogger Wa-Wa, at 3:48 PM, July 28, 2009  

  • Hi Wa-Wa,

    Yes, the Kenwood waffle maker (SM360) cost SG$59. I got it from Best(Denki) at Taka. Maybe you give them a call to check if there's still stock.

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 8:49 AM, July 29, 2009  

  • I have a waffle maker at home but always use premix(being lazy..). What I always do is adding mashed ripe banana/homemade apple sauce to the batter and they always come out great. Also, I made a batch and freeze them for snack/breakfast (just pop them in the toaster to heat up).

    Regina

    By Anonymous Regina Chennault, at 12:32 PM, July 31, 2009  

  • That looks sooo good! Now, I've really got to go out to get a waffle maker that makes old fashioned waffles like this, after lusting over one for such a long time.

    By Blogger thecoffeesnob, at 4:16 PM, August 09, 2009  

  • Hi,

    Just wanted to check if your recipe and waffle maker makes crispy or spongy kind of waffles?

    Really want to buy a waffle maker but they don't seem to be able to make crispy waffles.

    Thanks,

    Audrey

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:01 PM, August 10, 2009  

  • Hi Audrey,

    This recipe yields crisp waffles when warm... it tends to soften when cooled. If you are looking for really crisp waffles, maybe recipes wif yeast added will be a better bet, Altho i had not tried it out myself.

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 1:59 PM, August 11, 2009  

  • Thanks for your reply.

    Audrey

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:06 PM, August 12, 2009  

  • We love our waffle maker! We have grown accustomed to the instant spray-on stuff (batter blaster), partly because the kids love to quote-unquote make breakfast. They taste pretty good and they're organic so it's a shortcut we can live with.
    I really want us to start experimenting though - maybe this holiday break.
    Happy Holidays all

    By Anonymous Hendersons, at 1:21 PM, December 22, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home