Tea in a cake - Earl Grey Chiffon
However, I think if I were to make this a 2nd time, I'll probably steep some tea bags in the liquid so that it'll impart a stronger tea fragrant in the cake. Also I adjusted the recipe to a 4-egg recipe as I want a taller cake.
Recipe adapted from HHB. Thank you!
What you need
- 3 satchels of Earl Grey tea powder (I used Twinnings)
- 133g cake flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4nos egg yolks
- 50g caster sugar
- 65g vegetable oil
- 100ml water
- 4nos egg whites
- 53g caster sugar
What to do
- Place egg yolks in a mixing bowl with sugar, whisk till the mixture becomes turns pale.
- Add in the oil and water, whisking till the mixture is well combined. Sieve in the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk to fully incorporated into the batter. Add in the earl grey powder and mix well.
- In another bowl, whip egg whites it becomes frothy and foamy. Add in sugar gradually and continue to whip till wet stiff peaks.
- Fold in 1/3 of the whipped egg white into the egg yolk batter till batter becomes uniform and continue to fold in the remaining whites.
- Pour batter into chiffon pan. Bake in pre-heated oven at 170 degC for 45 mins or until the cake surface turns golden brown, and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and invert the pan immediately. Cool completely and then unmold the cake.