Mooncake 2010 - Baked Walnut Mooncakes
I adapted LeeLee's recipe (Thanks Lee!) and made some modification to it as I do not want to be left with 1/2 an egg and I do not have shortening in my pantry.... I got 13pcs from the recipe listed below.
What you need
- 190g Plain flour
- 12g Custard Powder
- 1/4 tsp Sodium Bicarbonate
- 25g Icing sugar
- 135g Butter (salted)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla paste
- 1/4 tsp Ammonium Bicarbonate
- 1 Egg
- Walnut for decoration
- Cream sugar, butter, vanilla paste and ammonium together until slightly white. (slow speed first then change to high speed)
- Gradually add in egg.
- Add in sifted flour, custard powder and sodium bicarbonate to knead into a dough. Be careful not to overmix. Leave dough in fridge overnight or for a few days.
- Take out dough from fridge and divide into portions of 30 gm each.
- Divide fillings into about 40 gm each.
- Wrap fillings into dough and round it up. Decorate with walnut at 4 sides. Apply egg glaze (from SunLik, can be used to glaze traditional baked mooncakes too) and bake at 160ºC for 10 mins. Take it out and leave it for about 10 mins and apply egg wash again. Bake for another 15 mins.