baking fiends unite!

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Chewy Little Morsels

I first came across korean bread/bun when I was surfing thru' some taiwanese blogs. Intrigued by it, I looked at the recipes posted and know that I won't be able to find the ingredients needed in sg. "coz in the list of ingredients, there's korean bread flour. So since I was planning a trip to Taiwan, it sorta became my "mission" to find this mysterious white flour!
During my trip to Taiwan, I saw korean bread on sale at one of the convienence shop located within a MRT stn. I bought 2 for everyone to try and they liked it! So I decided to continue searching for korean bread flour but was directed to this instead by the young boss of QUEEN baking supply shop. He claimed that the bread mix is a premix and the same bread can be achieved by this mochi powder. He then offered the recipe to me as long as I buy it. .. Well, I was thinking since I dun travel often and I'll be given the recipe, I shd give it a try... so I grabbed a packet of it and headed for the cashier.

Fast forward to 2 weeks later in sg... I finally found the time and chance to try it out. It turned out to be baked mochi instead of the korean bread I ate in Taiwan. The taste and texture are totally different! DRATS! Guess I've to keep on searching for a recipe on the net that resembles the one I tried.
Here's the recipe of the baked mochi for those who are interested to give it a try.
Baked mochi
(aka korean bread as proclaimed by that young boss of Queen baking supply )
What you need
  • 180gm Japanese mochi powder
  • 20gm bread flour
  • 6gm milk powder (full cream preferred)
  • 2gm salt
  • 40gm shortening
  • 20gm egg
  • 20gm veg oil
  • 160gm water
  • 2 tsps black sesame seeds
What to do
  • Measure and mix everything in yr mixer (i used the dough hook with my KA mixer) for abt 5mins til everything is evenly combined.
  • Pipe onto baking tray and bake @180C for 20mins.

Labels:

15 Comments:

  • Very curious about those korean bread, can you direct me to those sites where you've seen it? hehe :S
    Those chewy lil morsels .. still looking good! =D Thanks!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:08 AM, March 29, 2007  

  • Hi bobo,

    http://www.wretch.cc/blog/appy1128&article_id=11538184

    The pix and recipe is there also...

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 9:28 AM, March 29, 2007  

  • Thanks Baking fiend :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:10 PM, March 29, 2007  

  • I've been looking for this recipe too! I tried it once from a Korean bakery really like the "uniqueness" of it. The one I tried was very much like choux pastry except the center was chewy. Is that what you're after too?

    I think if you use this recipe but with the choux method (boil water add flour to make paste, add eggs). You'll probably get.....:P

    *TT

    By Blogger hoangtam/tt, at 3:45 PM, April 01, 2007  

  • Hi tt,

    From the way u described the "bread" u tried, it's more like this recipe i posted. For the korean bread I ate at Taipei, it's more compact, abit like overmixed muffin (my 1st impression!)... and it's really chewy, with a nice fragrant from the sesame seeds.

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 4:53 PM, April 01, 2007  

  • Did you ever find the recipe? We love these Korean "tapioca rolls". We just finished off 6 in one sitting. Let me know if you find the recipe.

    Jae

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:58 AM, September 02, 2007  

  • Hi Baking Friend,
    Was the bread you tasted in taiwan hollow in the middle?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:22 AM, November 27, 2007  

  • if u add 2 eggs and 20grams of soy sauce in there (yes! soy sauce!), it'll be closer to the taste u have in mind.

    i've used the premix and achieved the same result as the ones i tried in a korean bakery.
    when i went back to the grocery store (in Toronto), the premix was sold out and out of stock!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:11 PM, December 09, 2008  

  • The Korean black sesame tapioca rolls definitely do not have soy sauce in them. that wretch.cc site is not the same thing. I just made some from a mix I bought at the Korean market and the dough looks very different.

    By Anonymous mina, at 11:09 AM, June 04, 2009  

  • i tried your recipe but the inside is really dense compared to yours :(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:15 PM, November 23, 2010  

  • My dough was too wet, so i added tapioca flour! They look like cute little balls!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:55 AM, April 18, 2012  

  • Hello
    I have a question
    in the above list you mentioned "Japanese mochi powder".
    What do you mean by that?
    is it a real Japanese mochi powder that practically is a sticky rice flour or do you mean "Korean bread mix" ?

    to achieve a mochi bread out of Korean bread mixture its possible, it has happen to me too.

    IT usually depends on backing temperature and also the tepereture need to be adjusted during baking

    By Anonymous Decas, at 1:50 PM, June 10, 2012  

  • Hi Decas,

    Yes, it's Japanese mochi powder, which is glutinuous rice powder. :)

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 4:03 PM, August 12, 2012  

  • Mine didn't puff up as much as yours did :( But they taste nice nevertheless. Might be adding a bit of baking powder to it next time. Thanks for the recipe :D

    By Anonymous Ying, at 10:42 AM, January 24, 2013  

  • Mine didn't puff up as much as yours did :( But they taste nice nevertheless. Might be adding a bit of baking powder next time. Thanks for the recipe :D

    By Anonymous Ying, at 10:43 AM, January 24, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home