baking fiends unite!

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Chocolate chips flaxseed muffins

After I placed these muffins in the oven for baking, I logged on to my blog and saw Ching's tag. It was for the Breast Cancer Free Mammogram Movement.

I thought it was such a co-incidence as I had read thru' some sites looking for a flaxseed muffin recipe to work on. It was repeated in many sites that flaxseed is a very good ingredient to incorporate into our daily diets. One of the many strengths of this grain is that it actually helps to reduce tumours. Breast tumours are mentioned in many instances too.

I bought this pack of flaxseeds thinking of incorporating more fibre in my family's diet. But I had not done much research about it, until I was ready to bake something with it that I realised that it needs to be grounded to release the oil and maximise the benefits of eating this grain. So then my grand plans for the bakes got stalled as I only have a small chopper in my kitchen that will not be able to grind anything. I had to bring this pack of flaxseed to my ma's to get it grounded. Furthermore, I cannot just grind the whole pack until I was sure that it can be used up in one go. Ground flaxseed will loose it magical powers if kept for a long time... so only grind what you need!

ok... back to the muffins.... I chose this recipe which was very simple. I made some modifications to the recipe. Here's the recipe for you to try out if interested.

What you need
  • 130gm ground flaxseed
  • 102gm plain flour
  • 50gm brown sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 (one quarter) tsp salt
  • 70gm dark choc chips
  • 306gm milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • Some walnuts as toppings
What to do
  • Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar, flaxseed and salt together. Then add in the choc chips and mixed it well.
  • Add the vanilla extract to mik and mixed it well.
  • Pour the wet ingredients to the dry and mix til just combined.
  • Spoon batter into muffin cups. Top with walnuts.
  • Bake at 150C for 35mins.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • That is one healthy muffins! Love your paper cups too.

    By Blogger Little Corner of Mine, at 5:09 AM, June 17, 2008  

  • Indeed its one healthy muffin. Flax seed with its Omega 3 and dietary fiber benefits makes this one a healthy treat. You can however grind more of the kernels and tuck 'em for awhile in the fridge for say a week's time. If the kernels are kept refrigerated, they won't get rancid that fast. - steve

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:01 AM, July 10, 2008  

  • Thanks Ching.

    Thanks flax seed for the wonderful tip! will keep that in mind. :)

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 8:57 AM, July 10, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home