baking fiends unite!

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Tea in a cake - Earl Grey Chiffon

This is one cake which grows on you. It may taste a little bland when u 1st bite into it, but after tasting in your mouth, it has a very subtle and lovely earl grey tea fragrance and you will start to take bite after bite. :P

However, I think if I were to make this a 2nd time, I'll probably steep some tea bags in the liquid so that it'll impart a stronger tea fragrant in the cake. Also I adjusted the recipe to a 4-egg recipe as I want a taller cake.

Recipe adapted from HHB. Thank you!

What you need
  • 3 satchels of Earl Grey tea powder (I used Twinnings)
  • 133g cake flour
  • 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 4nos egg yolks
  • 50g caster sugar
  • 65g vegetable oil
  • 100ml water
  • 4nos egg whites
  • 53g caster sugar

What to do
  • Place egg yolks in a mixing bowl with sugar, whisk till the mixture becomes turns pale.
  • Add in the oil and water, whisking till the mixture is well combined. Sieve in the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk to fully incorporated into the batter. Add in the earl grey powder and mix well.
  • In another bowl, whip egg whites it becomes frothy and foamy. Add in sugar gradually and continue to whip till wet stiff peaks.
  • Fold in 1/3 of the whipped egg white into the egg yolk batter till batter becomes uniform and continue to fold in the remaining whites.
  • Pour batter into chiffon pan. Bake in pre-heated oven at 170 degC for 45 mins or until the cake surface turns golden brown, and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  • Remove from the oven and invert the pan immediately. Cool completely and then unmold the cake.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • Hi,
    I chanced upon your blog.
    Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipes and I simply love pics of your bakes.

    I also have a heart shaped chiffon pan which I've yet to use. May I know how big is yours? I gonna to try out your recipe one day soon.

    Thank you,
    Irene

    By Blogger Irene Gan, at 11:23 AM, August 29, 2010  

  • Hi Irene,

    Thanks for visiting. :)

    This chiffin tin that I have measures 8in at the broadest part.

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 9:15 AM, August 30, 2010  

  • I like baking with Earl Grey :) It is a great idea to replace the water with earl grey tea instead (with milk, even better?).

    By Blogger Happy Homebaker, at 10:42 AM, August 30, 2010  

  • the chiffon cake looks soft and fluffy

    By Blogger Bakericious, at 12:21 PM, August 30, 2010  

  • HBB, yes I was thinking of steeping the teabags in milk for the liquid... it would be very nice! :)

    Thanks Jess.

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 1:43 PM, August 30, 2010  

  • Hello, I love this cake! I have a recipe for early grey cupcakes and I have made chiffon cupcakes before. I want to combine the idea to make earl grey chiffon cupcakes. I use earl grey tea brewed instead of milk. When you say a satchel of tea, how much do you mean? Also my coffee grinder broke so i have no way of making the earl grey powder. Do you think if i use loose tea it will be just as nice without harming the texture too much? Bearing in mind they are cupcakes not a tin cake?
    Thankyou very much! Love your blog!

    By Anonymous Georgia, at 10:37 PM, July 19, 2011  

  • Hi Georgia,

    A satchel is a pack of tea leaves that you normally buy from the shops, good for a cup of tea. I did not weigh them, sorrie. If you do not have a blender, you can try to pound the tea leaves to make them finer.

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 8:51 PM, July 23, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home