baking fiends unite!

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Soft and chewy buns

I've got a pack of the japanese mochi powder sitting in my fridge. Another impluse buy, this I got from my taiwan trip.... my attempt to bake some korean buns was a failure, and since then, this pack of mochi powder had been delegated to the coldest, darkest corner of my fridge! LOL...

While blog-hopping one day, I came across a taiwanese blog. The blogger used mochi powder with bread flour and made some buns from it. And she mentioend that the resulting buns were soft and chewy! I copied the recipe down then, hoping that I'll try it one day with the mochi powder I have at home.

This morning, I woke with a headache and still decided to try the recipe. It's been some time since I last baked some bread. It's definately hightime to do it! (furthermore, I've not been eating bread for a while... or rather since the high jump in bread/flour/butter prices last mth!)

Verdict : This recipe is a keeper! Very soft and chewy indeed. Erm... got feedback from my guinea pigs much-appreciated reviewers, the crust of this bun is rather thick and hard. I wonder if there's anything I can do to make the crust softer... hm....
 
Here's the recipe:

What you need
  • 320gm bread flour
  • 80gm mochi powder
  • 65gm sugar
  • 65gm butter
  • 250gm milk
  • 5gm yeast
  • 1gm salt
What to do

  • Knead all the ingredients above, except butter until a dough forms. Knead for a further 10mins .
  • Add in butter and knead until it forms a smooth dough. Pls note that this dough is rather sticky.
  • Place dough into a well greased bowl for poofing till double in size.
  • Then take dough out, punch down and divide dough to size as desired.(i divided it to 50gms each)
  • Leave it to rest for 10 mins. Proceed to wrap fillings (i used pork floss) into the dough.
  • Poof for another 45mins or so, until it doubled in size.
  • Bake in oven at 180C for 20mins, until done.
  • Brush on butter and leave to cool.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home