baking fiends unite!

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Life of elegance?

My 1st taste of osmanthus was many years ago when i dined at a chinese restuarant serving "zha-jiang mian". on the menu, there's a dessert which is tang-yuen (glutinuous balls with different fillings) cooked with a sweet syrup infused with osmanthus. I was really capivated then, the very elegant and refined fragrance of osmanthus..... but then, being the young and impressionable me at that time, all i did was become a regular customer of that joint, to enjoy the dessert. I never occured to me to replicate this dessert at home, maybe 'coz i wasn't that much into cooking then.

Many years later, I chanced upon this recipe of osmanthus cake shared generously by Jo, of Imperial Kitchen forum. I heard that osmanthus cake is a favourite of a particular dowager in the ancient times. I know for sure that i'll give this cake a try! However, seems to me that osmanthus is not easily found locally, until one goes "searching" for it at medical halls or places that sells china foodstuff.

I finally made some y'day, having found the exclusive osmanthus at a c'town shop.... the family dun seemed to appreciate the taste of osmanthus.... hm.... maybe their tastebuds is not as refined as the dowager, or mine! LOL..... anyway, i really love the cake... and i find that maybe the taste of the osmanthus is not strong enuf. would love to get my hands on the dried flowers, to enhance the taste even more!
I love the shape of this mold....

'Cuze me while I brew myself a nice pot of tea and enjoy my life of elegance!See the osmanthus flowers in the cake? so pretty.....

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Hey!

    Your bakes look really really yummy! Anyway, I will be raising funds for my cca at the beginning of next year because we intend to set up a mini-scale scientific library (I’m from National Junior College by the way); so I was wondering if you’d be willing to sponsor some of your bakes for us to sell and raise funds so that the library can come to fruition (: Every little contribution will be greatly greatly appreciated!

    Please feel free to contact me if you have any queries or should you require further clarification at laiyanlingcatherine@hotmail.com or 90273206.

    Looking forward to your reply!


    <3
    Catherine

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:20 AM, December 16, 2007  

  • Ida.. glad u like this cake =)
    u can try the honey bee shop, they sell the dry osmanthus.. not too ex there.. else can try kwong cheong thye too

    By Blogger karlsfoodie, at 2:48 PM, December 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home