baking fiends unite!

Monday, October 06, 2008

Honey Lemon Chiffon Cake

A friend forwarded this recipe for me to try. She loved the taste of this cake but felt that the cake did not rise enuf during baking. So it became my weekends assignment to give it a shot and report back to her how it turned out.Indeed it is a really lovely tasting cake! I used my good'ole 8in chiffon tin which turned out to be too big. The cake when baked only came up to slightly more than half the height of the tin... but it was so good, it was gone in half the day!

Sharing with you the pictures and the recipe of this cake. If I were to bake this again, I'll do 1.5 the recipe to get a good height.

What you need
  • 3 nos.Egg Yolk
  • 50gm Honey
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 2 tsp Lemon Juice
  • 1 tbsp Water
  • 45gm Corn Oil
  • 85gm Cake Flour
  • 4 nos. Egg White
  • Pinch of Salt
  • 50gm Sugar
  • 1/8 tsp Cream of tartar or 1 tsp lemon juice
What to do
  • Mix egg yolks, honey, lemon zest, lemon juice, water and corn oil tog. Sift in the cake flour. Mix till combined.
  • Whip the egg whites with either cream of tartar or lemon juice, and sugar till wet stiff peaks.
  • Fold in 1/3 of the egg whites into the yolk mixture to lighten it.
  • Fold in remaining egg whites and pour batter into the chiffon tin.
  • Bake for about 20 to 25 mins at 180C. Timing depends on oven.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

  • Hi,
    May I know what is the tin size? TIA


    Regards,
    Vivien

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:17 PM, October 06, 2008  

  • Hi Viven,

    My tin is 8in but it's too big, so prob a 6 or 7in will work better?

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 1:55 PM, October 06, 2008  

  • Looks really soft and fluffy. Never try it with honey before, will keep this recipe in mind. Thanks!

    By Blogger Little Corner of Mine, at 1:34 AM, October 07, 2008  

  • from my experience...heavy liquids or syrup will pull down the cake. like the last time I did using raspberry jam, mixed with water to 'soften' it..it pulled down my chiffon cake.

    By Blogger Gina Choong, at 12:54 PM, October 07, 2008  

  • Hi

    May I noe wats the size of the eggs? ( the weigh?)

    Thank you for sharing the recipe with us =p

    Rgds
    Ng

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:24 PM, October 09, 2008  

  • Hi Ng,
    I used 60gms eggs (with shell).

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 8:36 AM, October 10, 2008  

  • Great looking chiffon! It's going into my TO DO list =)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:49 PM, October 11, 2008  

  • Amazing taste! I made this just now and my bf was CRAZY over it! Took the whole cake home and didn't leave me a single piece...LOL. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

    By Blogger rmcleans, at 3:07 PM, November 22, 2008  

  • Hi rmcleans,

    Glad the recipe worked out fine for u. :)

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 11:14 AM, November 24, 2008  

  • Hi,
    It looks so lovely that I want to give it a try too! : )
    I'm getting a replacement for my chiffon tin as my friend had scratched it terribly with knife marks. Thinking to buy those in 2 pieces ie middle can be detached. Do you think it's better than the usual 1 piece type? My concern is whether it'll leak when we pour the mixture in.
    For my 1 piece chiffon tin, I don't line the tin but a friend told me have to line it so that the chiffon comes out easily. Can you pls advise?
    Thks!
    Kym

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:25 AM, March 27, 2009  

  • Hi Kym,

    Thanks for visiting.

    My chiffon tins are all 2-piece type. It makes removing the cake very simple. So far, I've not experienced batter leaking from chiffon tins. and also, to get a nice brown crust from the baked cake, do not line yr base. And I'm sure you also know that you do not need to grease them also. Hope that helps!

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 6:00 PM, March 27, 2009  

  • didnt you use baking powder? Or is it not necessary?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:39 PM, May 09, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home