baking fiends unite!

Saturday, January 30, 2010

So much to do, so little time...


I know... I deserved it.. all due to my procrastination, I'm left with only 2 weeks for my cny bakes. The coming 2 weeks will definately be crunch time... as I have in mind a whole (long) list of cny to-bakes!

To start off the baking frenzy, I baked some kuih balu. I bought the cheap stainless steel molds a few years back, and I do remember attempting this bake but the mold was disappointing as the kuih balu stuck on it even tho I had greased and floured them. Furthermore, the design of the mold was not defined when baked. Until recently I spotted a recipe by Sinner. Her kuih balus looks so good! and this is a favourite snack of mine, and my little one... so I decided to give the mold another chance. :P Well, this time I followed Sinner's instruction to grease the mold... the kuihs still got stuck. However the recipe yield great kuih balus... so good that the family finished it in 1 afternoon, and I had doubled that recipe.

Not wanting to give up, I bought the same molds as Sinner in a recent trip across the causeway. I was glad that I bought these molds... they were going for RM8.90/pc. At a baking supply shop west of Sg, these molds are selling for SGD9.80! This is how the mold looks like.

Thanks to Sinner's sharing.... I tripled the recipe this time, reduced some sugar, and added chocolate rice; and this is the recipe:

What you need
  • 3 eggs ( I used 60gm eggs)
  • 85gm castor sugar
  • 90gm plain flour
  • 1/4 + 1/8 tsp baking powder
  • vanilla extract
  • a handful of chocolate rice
What to do
  • Preheat the oven at 190 degrees. Also, place the molds into the oven to heat them up.
  • Sift the plain flour and baking powder together, set aside.
  • Whip eggs till foamy, add in the castor sugar, beat on high.
  • Add in vanilla extract, continue to whip eggs till ribbon stage.
  • Fold in sifted flour mixture into the whipped eggs.
  • Add in a handful of chocolate rice and fold into the batter.
  • Take out heated molds, spray PAM onto it.
  • Scoop batter into mold, till full.
  • Bake for 10mins at 190degrees and remove with skewer onto cooling rack.
  • Cool completely and store.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • They look great! I did mine today today but as usual mine is super small :P And it's never too late! Jia You! Jia You!

    By Anonymous Elyn, at 4:30 PM, January 30, 2010  

  • Simply pretty, love the molds. I lack patient when come to making this, it takes too long to bake it in batches, hopefully others will make this for CNY. :P

    By Blogger Little Corner of Mine, at 12:01 AM, January 31, 2010  

  • Hi Hi
    You bot the mould from JB? Could you let me know which store and the address? Intend to pop by JB one of these weekends after CNY...

    Thanks in advance.

    : )

    By Blogger Irene's Footprints, at 10:00 AM, February 03, 2010  

  • Hi Irene,

    i got the molds from Ng Ming Huat in JB. Addy is
    No 115-116 Jalan Harimau Tarum
    Century Garden
    80250 Johor Bahru
    Malaysia
    Tel : 07-3349999, 3344581, 3344582
    Fax : 07-3344580
    Email : ng_ming_huat@yahoo.com
    If you do not drive, u can catch a cab there, almost all cab drivers will know where is Ng Ming Huat. Hope that helps.

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 9:19 AM, February 04, 2010  

  • Hello thanks for this! The kuehs look terrific.

    I tried two other kueh bulu recipes last month and they were both disastrous. The proportions in your recipe look much more sensible.. I must give it a try sometime!

    By Anonymous Mrs Multitasker, at 10:13 AM, February 04, 2010  

  • Hi Mrs Multitasker,

    have fun trying this recipe out. :)

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 2:39 PM, February 04, 2010  

  • Hi Hi
    Thanks for your info..one day shd go..after CNY thou.
    I ever checked the heavy cast type mould in Malacca, RM$300...expensive!

    : )

    By Blogger Irene's Footprints, at 7:40 PM, February 05, 2010  

  • Glad to be of help, Irene. NMH also has the copper based mold going for RM145. If the cheaper ones works just fine, I dun see the need to spend so much on a mold. :P

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 9:15 AM, February 08, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home