baking fiends unite!

Friday, October 22, 2010

Pandan Chiffon Cake (cooked dough method)


I saw this cooked-dough method in one taiwanese blog a few months back. The blogger baked an orange chiffon using this method and I decided to give it a try. However, the cake did not turn out well. I had problems when I added flour to the batter. It was really dry and lumpy. Needless to say, the cake did not rise high and when baked it was more like a dense sponge cake. So I made rum balls with that. :P I had in mind to try it again soon. I was blog-hopping and came across Wen's post about her pandan cake using the same method. I knew it's time to give it another try.

I made slight modification to her recipe as I did not have pandan juice on hand. Here's what I did:

What you need
  • 5 nos. Egg Yolk
  • 110gm Coconut milk
  • 50gm Butter
  • 90gm Cake flour
  • 1/2 tsp pandan paste
  • 5 nos. Egg white
  • 80gm Castor Sugar
What to do
  • Preheat oven at 170 deg C
  • Cook coconut milk, butter and pandan paste together till butter melted, while is warmed add in sifted flour and mix well using a whisk.
  • Whisk in egg yolks one by one and set aside.
  • Whisk egg whites till foamy and add in sugar whisk till stiff.
  • Add in 1/3 meringue into the cooked dough and fold well.
  • Pour this mixture back to the balance meringue and fold well until well-combined.
  • Pour into a 20cm chiffon mould, bake at 150 deg C bake for 40 mins.
  • Invert the cake to cool, unmould when completely cooled.
(Tip: Fold in whipped egg whites when the dough is still warm.)
The baked chiffon tasted very different from the ones made using the conventional method. This cake has a finer structure and it's really soft and fluffy. The family gave it the thumbs-up. I'll be using this method to try out different flavours. Stay tuned!

Labels:

10 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home