baking fiends unite!

Friday, October 22, 2010

Pandan Chiffon Cake (cooked dough method)


I saw this cooked-dough method in one taiwanese blog a few months back. The blogger baked an orange chiffon using this method and I decided to give it a try. However, the cake did not turn out well. I had problems when I added flour to the batter. It was really dry and lumpy. Needless to say, the cake did not rise high and when baked it was more like a dense sponge cake. So I made rum balls with that. :P I had in mind to try it again soon. I was blog-hopping and came across Wen's post about her pandan cake using the same method. I knew it's time to give it another try.

I made slight modification to her recipe as I did not have pandan juice on hand. Here's what I did:

What you need
  • 5 nos. Egg Yolk
  • 110gm Coconut milk
  • 50gm Butter
  • 90gm Cake flour
  • 1/2 tsp pandan paste
  • 5 nos. Egg white
  • 80gm Castor Sugar
What to do
  • Preheat oven at 170 deg C
  • Cook coconut milk, butter and pandan paste together till butter melted, while is warmed add in sifted flour and mix well using a whisk.
  • Whisk in egg yolks one by one and set aside.
  • Whisk egg whites till foamy and add in sugar whisk till stiff.
  • Add in 1/3 meringue into the cooked dough and fold well.
  • Pour this mixture back to the balance meringue and fold well until well-combined.
  • Pour into a 20cm chiffon mould, bake at 150 deg C bake for 40 mins.
  • Invert the cake to cool, unmould when completely cooled.
(Tip: Fold in whipped egg whites when the dough is still warm.)
The baked chiffon tasted very different from the ones made using the conventional method. This cake has a finer structure and it's really soft and fluffy. The family gave it the thumbs-up. I'll be using this method to try out different flavours. Stay tuned!

Labels:

10 Comments:

  • Wow, your chiffon really turn out very well. Well done! You should try using fresh pandan juice, the fragrant will be even better.

    By Blogger Wen, at 10:07 PM, October 22, 2010  

  • Interesting method. It looks more compact/dense than the traditional method.

    By Blogger Little Corner of Mine, at 1:28 AM, October 23, 2010  

  • mmmm i love chiffon cake!

    By Blogger mr. pineapple man, at 9:23 AM, October 23, 2010  

  • Wen, thanks for your generous sharing!

    Ching, the chiffon is not dense or compact. The family found it nicer than the other chiffon recipes I tried. Give tis a try too, I think u'll like it. :)

    Thanks for dropping by, Mr Pineapple Man!

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 11:34 AM, October 23, 2010  

  • You are tempting me to try baking chiffon again.

    By Blogger Bakericious, at 9:22 PM, October 23, 2010  

  • WOW, i am so excited to try this method. thanks for sharing!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:52 PM, October 25, 2010  

  • I've been wanting to try a chiffon cake. If I do, I'm going to use this method - the crumb looks so even yet still so soft.

    By Blogger Joyti, at 8:00 AM, October 26, 2010  

  • hiii, thanks for dropping by to my blog! i just made this chiffon this morning, but i seem to have problem with a cracked and dense top (before inverted). I have this problem not only with this recipe, but with almost all chiffon recipes. Do u have any idea on how to avoid that problem? Thanks in advance!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:53 PM, October 26, 2010  

  • Hi crustabake,

    the cracked top is due to too high a temperature. I always get cracked tops too. Coz the inside of the cake pushed it's way out during baking, while the top crust had settled and baked, causing the crack. As for the denseness, maybe it's underbaked? give it a few more minutes in the oven may do the trick.

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 3:36 PM, October 26, 2010  

  • Thanks so much for the prompt reply. I shall experiment more with longer baking time! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:19 PM, October 26, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home