Here's the recipe:
What you need
- 150gm icing sugar
- 70gm ground almonds
- 15gm honey
- 63gm plain flour
- 2gm baking powder
- 90gm butter
- 170gm egg whites
- A few fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat your oven to 220°C. Grease (I used a spray) the molds you will be using with a brush and melted butter.
- Sift the confectioners sugar. Add the ground almonds and whisk together.
- Sift the flour and the baking powder together. Add to the sugar and nuts and stir till well mixed.
- Prepare the "beurre noisette" (or burnt butter). Boil the butter until the foam subsides and turns brownish. The caramel flavor of toasted butter is the best part of the financiers.
- Pour the butter on the dry mixture and mix it thoroughly.
- Add the honey and then the egg whites, gradually. Mix till smooth.
- Pour into the financiers forms (the mixture is very runny. I used a tablespoon).
- Place a frozen or fresh blueberry on top of each. Don't push the berry down into the batter, it's better if the berry doesn't come in contact with the mold as it makes the financier even stickier. Bake for 10 minutes. Depending on their size, watch carefully that they don't become too brown.