baking fiends unite!

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Blueberry Financiers

I had this very simple recipe in my files for the longest time. I procrastinated 'coz it called for butter to be melted and browned.. I've not tried that before and it seemed to be alot of work.
However, I'm glad that I finally gave it a try. Everything could be put together so fast and clean up was ez too... more importantly, they tasted really good and they're definately photogenic! LOL....
I made them really tiny, except for those in the round-tart shaped. I digged out my silicone molds for these and they looked really good, don't they?

I made some modifications to the original recipe and I did not note down the source of the recipe. If anyone knows where it came from, drop me a note, so that I can credit the author.

Here's the recipe:
What you need
  • 150gm icing sugar
  • 70gm ground almonds
  • 15gm honey
  • 63gm plain flour
  • 2gm baking powder
  • 90gm butter
  • 170gm egg whites
  • A few fresh or frozen blueberries
What to do
  • Preheat your oven to 220°C. Grease (I used a spray) the molds you will be using with a brush and melted butter.
  • Sift the confectioners sugar. Add the ground almonds and whisk together.
  • Sift the flour and the baking powder together. Add to the sugar and nuts and stir till well mixed.
  • Prepare the "beurre noisette" (or burnt butter). Boil the butter until the foam subsides and turns brownish. The caramel flavor of toasted butter is the best part of the financiers.
  • Pour the butter on the dry mixture and mix it thoroughly.
  • Add the honey and then the egg whites, gradually. Mix till smooth.
  • Pour into the financiers forms (the mixture is very runny. I used a tablespoon).
  • Place a frozen or fresh blueberry on top of each. Don't push the berry down into the batter, it's better if the berry doesn't come in contact with the mold as it makes the financier even stickier. Bake for 10 minutes. Depending on their size, watch carefully that they don't become too brown.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home