baking fiends unite!

Thursday, June 04, 2009

Durian puffs

We had a tropical fruit party at the office last week. After the event, I brought home boxes of (leftover) durians. Guess we over-bought. :P

Anyway, there's no such thing as too much durian in my household. After sharing it out with my siblings and the kids, I still had a substantial amt left. So, I took out the spoon, put on some plastic gloves and removed the flesh from the seeds. Kept the durian flesh in a plastic container, wrapped with many layers of clingwrap and plastic bags and left it in the fridge. The next day, I took out the durian flesh and pureed them. I had 2 options, either a durian mousse cake or durian puffs. Being a Saturday, i was too lazy to run go buy a pack of cream under the hot sun, so I settled on making puffs (or choux pastry, as more commonly known) instead.

After the puffs were done, I piped in the durian puree... no added cream whatsoever... it's just pure 100% durians! and boy... I'm in durian bliss once i bit into the puff!

I'm going to post the choux pastry recipe here, with some modifications on my part, as it is a really really fantastic recipe. Thanks to Florence for sharing her recipe!
What you need

  • 85ml water
  • 50g butter ( i used salted butter)
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
  • 50g bread flour (sift it together with cake flour)
  • 20g cake flour
  • 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
What to do
  • Boil water, butter and sugar in a saucepan till bubbling. Turn the heat to low.
  • Add in the sifted flour mixture in one go and mix with a wooden spoon till a dough is formed.
  • Still on low heat, cook the dough for 1 - 2 minutes till a thin white film appears at the bottom of the saucepan.
  • Transfer dough to a mixing bowl and beat till it is lukewarm to touch.
  • Add in egg by thirds and mix till well blended and smooth.
  • Place batter into piping bag and pipe it onto a lined pan in rounds of about 1 inch in diameter.
  • Bake at 200C for 25 minutes then 180C for 8 - 10 minutes or till golden.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home