baking fiends unite!

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Purple Sweet Potato Chiffon Cake

I went on my maiden trip to Japan recently, Tokyo, to be precised. It was definitely an eye-opening trip, and I do hope that there will be more trips to Japan in future...

As all bakers do, wherever I go, I am always on the lookout for baking supplies shop. Japan is known for having delicate baked goods, good quality flour etc. So how can I not try any cakes and pastries and also hope to bring home some of those flour!

I was lucky that my hubs is always so supportive of my hobby. I planned to go to Kappabashi and Tokyu Hands, after doing some research about baking supplies in Tokyo. And I am happy to report that I did manage to buy what I had set out to. :)

Here are my loot....


Agar agar powder, green tea powder, sweet potato powder, coca powder from Cooking Class, located at Mori Towers, Roppongi Hills

Chocolate bread premix, Cake flour and Bread flour from Tokyu Hands

I was delighted to spot a square chiffon tin in one of the shop in Kappabashi. And i bought it without any hesitation.


After I returned, while grocery shopping at Sheng Shiong, I saw a box of purple sweet potatoes on sale! Immediately, I bought some, wanting to try out the square chiffon tin during the weekends.


I shortlisted the recipe posted by Happy Homebaker, and is very pleased to report that the cake turned out very well. The sweetness and moisture is just right!

3 Comments:

  • Square chiffon tin and sweet potato chiffon cake - beautiful! You are so lucky to be able to go shopping. As we were on a package tour, we didnt have time! maybe next time but I will have to go without hubs as he is not into shopping. hehe

    By Blogger tina, at 2:19 AM, November 12, 2012  

  • May I know how much you bought the square chiffon pan and what is th size? Viv

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:05 AM, November 13, 2012  

  • Hi Viv,

    The tin measures 4.75 inches at the base. Cost ard SGD35 for it.

    By Blogger Baking Fiend, at 9:12 PM, November 20, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home