baking fiends unite!

Monday, September 17, 2012

Snowskin Mooncakes 2012



Prices of mooncakes have been steadily climbing these few years. Personally i think it's really crazy when i look at the prices charged per mooncake. Although I know sometimes, certain hotels or restaurants have some secret recipes that produces really good tasting mooncakes. But since I have learnt about mooncake making, i find it silly to pay so much.

Every year, I would make some mooncakes for my mom. This year, I seemed to have started really early, all thanks to a visit to the baking supply store and seeing that lotus paste was already on sale at such an early date. Knowing myself, if i were to wait till nearer to Mooncake Festival, I would be procrastinating so much to buy the ingredients, and then having such a tight timeline, I would also end up not being able to finish up the pack of lotus paste.

Enough of my ramblings.... This year, I tried a new snowskin recipe, shared by a friend. Using olive oil, instead of shortening, the skin remained soft even tho' taken straight from the fridge. Not to mention, olive oil is a much healthier option then shortening.... presenting my strawberry snowskin mooncakes with cranberries and melon seed lotus paste filling.



Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home