baking fiends unite!

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Chocolate Birthday Cake

It's March again! The celebration month in the family. :)

First up is Hubs b'day today. After looking thru' tons of recipes, I decided on a chocolate cake. The pic of the cake in the recipe looked so good that I made up my mind on the spot that this is THE cake.

It was *almost* a cake that did not happen. Last nite, I was preparing the ingredients and thought I should preheat my oven 1st BUT when I tried to turn it on, nothing happened... *moments of panic!!!*. Dragged Hubs from the couch and he pulled the wiring out to take a look and found the culprit. There was a burnt mark along the wiring! So he went about fixing it and i heaved a sigh of relief when he announced that the oven should be working fine. However, when I tried to turn it on again, still nothing happened! This time, all kinds of thoughts ran thru' my mind. I was worried abut my other planned bakes for this month... how am I gonna do it with the oven down? I nearly freaked! And not to mention, Hubs will be cakeless tomorrow! Which also means I've to make a trip to to the bakery nearby and buy cakes which I do not like at all. Thankfully it suddenly occurred to me that it maybe it was the fuse in the power point that was causing the problem. So I got Hubs to check and replace that at the same time, fingers crossed. Finally it worked! I had never been as grateful to hear the oven working again. So I finally got the cake baked but I was really exhausted by then and decided the frosting and decorating will have to wait.
Came this morning.... 1st thing I did was the get the buttercream done. The buttercream turned out really smooth and yummy. I read that many ppl had tried making buttercream and the texture turned out grainy. Luckily it was not in my case. The sweetness was just right too!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home